Top 10 Pencil Eyeliner Tricks to Enhance Your Eye
Let’s talk about the OG eyeliner – the pencil liner. There is many great things about pencil liners since there are plenty of different ways to use them, they are super cheap and come in as variety of shades. Pencil liners are also super great if you are new to eyeliner or struggle with liquid or gel liners. However, then only down side is they don’t tend to last as long as liquid or gel liners, but if you opt for a waterproof pencil and use some primer there should be a problem! We have put together all our top tricks and tips you can do with just a simple pencil eyeliner! Plus we have added some extra bonus eyeliner looks you can create with full step by step guides, don’t say we don’t spoil you!
Select the Right Pencil Liner for you
With so many eyeliners out there it can hard to decide which one. First things first, you need to decide what colour you want (ultra-black, black, grey, brown or a colourful shade). We recommend you base this of what kind of look you are going for, e.g. a smokey eye choose a ultra-black, black or grey shade. If you’re going for a more natural look and just want to enhance your eyes opt for a brown shade, if you’re feeling creative or heading to a festival select a bright, colourful or neon colour! Once you have decided on the shade, decide on if you want it to be waterproof, long lasting etc. We recommend selecting a liner that is labelled ‘creamy’ or ‘kohl’ as there are much easier to apply and will glide on better.
Warm Up Your Eyeliner Pencil
If your pencil liner is not labelled as ‘creamy’ or ‘kohl’ then you may find it doesn’t apply as smoothly as you would have hoped. If this is the case, then simply warm up the liner by rolling the pencil back and forth in your hands. You could also rub the tip of the liner on the back of your hand until it softens. The third way is to hold the liner above a flame using a candle or a lighter.
Made a Mistake? Use a Q-tip
If you make a mistake when applying the liner, don’t worry just grab a Q-tip and clean it up! If you need to add some micellar water to the Q-tip go ahead. Q-tips are also great if you are doing a wing liner and feel it needs a little cleaning up.
Dot Your Liner
If you struggle with creating the perfect liner or want your lashes to look thicker then this is the perfect technique for you. First pull your upper eyelid taut and look down into a mirror, apply dots or dashes to any gaps in your lash line. Repeat until you are happy with the result!
Set Your Eyeliner
We suggest you use a matte eye shadow to set the eyeliner in place. This is because eye shadow is designed to be used on the eye area. If the eye shadow was to get into your eyes it will not be as irritable as loose powder may be. In terms of color, it’s up to you and what look you’re going for! If you’re going for a smokey look then add a pop of black eye shadow and blend it out for the ultimate sultry look.
Line The Inside of Your Eyes AKA Tightlining
This will create a sexy, smokey eye look which is an absolute go to eye look for a night out on the town! Tightlining is a little trick that is used by a lot of makeup artists and celebrities use. Basically, tightlining is when you apply eye liner to your upper waterline to create a sultry and dramatic look. This technique is used by many makeup artists and celebrities and the best part it is super simple to do!
- If you are using a pencil or crayon eyeliner, make sure it is sharpened before you use it. To take away the sharpness, rub the eyeliner on the back of your hand until the sharpness has been blunted. If you are using a liquid or gel liner, make sure they have not dried out at all. Eyeliner that is on the drying side can be a struggle to apply and can tough on your eyes.
- When apply the eyeliner to your waterline hold up the lid and use short strokes do the same for your bottom waterline.
- If you are using a liquid or gel liner you can use the ‘stamping’ method. Apply the liner to the brush you are using and apply at in a stamping motion.
- Use a Q-tip / cotton bud to gently pat your water line to make it not so wet. When the waterline is wet when you apply the eyeliner, it won’t last as long.
- If you make any mistakes with the eyeliner when applying, don’t worry you can always use a Q-tip / cotton bud to clean it up later.
- To make sure your liner lasts all day you want to set it in place. We recommend you use an eyeshadow of your choice to set it in place. This can be a coloured eye shadow or a plain black or white. We recommend you use a similar eyeshadow colour to the eyeliner you have used.
- Like all makeup look, a pair of false eyelashes can really make your eyes pop and transform a whole look. We recommend you use the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) lashes for a super full and fluffy look. However, if you are going for a more subtle look but want to wear some falsies we recommend using a pair of good old synthetic eyelashes!
When creating a smokey eye, it’s important that you blend and smudge the product out otherwise it can make you look like you have a black eye. Not to worry though, after following our advice and a little practise, you’ll be a pro at creating smokey eyes in no time.
- Use a dark coloured liner to create the best smokey eye look. Hold the upper eyelid firmly and apply the eyeliner. It is best to apply it starting from the inside corner and to move outwards for the quickest and easiest results. Make sure that the middle of your lid has a thicker layer than at the edges. This will make sure your eyeliner is evenly distributed.
- Grab a smudging brush or a Q-tip and carefully blend the liner out. Be careful not to over smudge out the liner as it will make you look like you have a black eye!
- Choose a dark eye shadow colour we suggest a black, grey, dark blue or green. Apply the eye shadow along were the eyeliner is, this will set the eyeliner so it lasts all day or night. The eye shadow will also help with creating a seamless blend. Keep applying the eye shadow until you are happy with the look, if any areas need cleaning up, use a cotton bud to remove the excess.
- Apply a layer of black mascara and your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super full and fluffy and will complete the look.
Top tip: a great technique when it comes to creating the prefect smokey eye is to use ‘tightlining’. This is where you apply the eyeliner (usually a pencil, crayon or gel liner) to your upper lids water line. This opens up and brightens the eye, yet still gives you a sultry smokey eye look. For more information on tightlining and how to use this technique, check out our blog page.
This is a great way to give the appearance of larger eyes. By smudging your eyeliner, this will elongate your eyes, you can use this technique on your upper and lower lash line! If you’re looking for something more subtle, try not to smudge it out as much.
How to smudge: Apply the eyeliner to your upper eyelid. We recommend you use an eyeliner pencil or crayon for this as gel or liquid liner won’ smudge as easily or as well. Either use your finger or a buffing brush to smudge out the eyeliner. Be sure to be gentle and careful when doing this as it could easily end up looking like you have a black eye if you go overboard! Gradually smudge the eyeliner out until you’re happy. Apply a good coat of mascara and pop on your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super full and fluffy whilst keeping it light weight! To apply to your bottom lash line, go through the same process until you’re happy and apply some mascara to the lashes. If you want to go all out, why not apply some dark eyeshadow around where you have smudged to give you more of a smokey affect! This technique will make your eyes look larger and whiter if done correctly!
Want a Natural Look? Brown Pencil is the One!
Sometimes we want something a little more subtle or work friendly, this is why the brown pencil is your BFF. The brown eyeliner will still enhance those beautiful eyes of yours without looking too dramatic! It is also a fantastic way to achieve the ‘no makeup – makeup look’!
Try Coloured Pencils
If you’re feeling creative or heading to a festival, why not get creative with some coloured liner? We recommend using a colour that contrasts with your eye colour.
Green eyes – use purples, reds or maroon shades
Blue eyes – dark blue or purple shades
Brown eyes – golds and green shades
Go for Nude Colours
An amazing quick and simple way to make small eyes look larger is to use a white or nude eyeliner. This will open up your eyes and make them appear wider. To use this technique, apply the white or nude eyeliner to both your upper and lower lash line. Then pop on a good coat of mascara and your favourite eyelashes and your good to go!
More Different Eyeliner Looks
The Everyday Eyeliner
Not every day do you want to have a full blown smokey eye that is why it’s important to master the eyeliner basics for every day. After you have practised a few times you’ll be good to go!
- First grab your favourite eyeliner, pull your upper eyelid taut and apply the eyeliner. If you are using gel try to do the line in one sweep to keep it thin. If you feel you’re not so confident with the eyeliner, why not try lining your lid with a dark black or grey eye shadow? This can be as subtle as you want it to be, if you want it to be darker keep applying more shadow until you are happy with the look. If you have used eyeshadow, try running some eyeliner over the eye shadow. Top tip: when applying eyeliner, make sure you are in a good position. Try resting your elbows on the table, this will give you extra steadiness.
- If you have simply just applied the eyeliner, then we recommend you set it with some eyeshadow. Try using a shade similar or the same as the liner colour to keep things looking snatched.
- Apply a small line of eyeliner to your lower lid waterline to complete the look.
Going on a night out or off to a meal? A beautiful bold eye can really glam things up. Bold eyes look amazing when paired with a bold pair of false eyelashes. We would recommend you opt for a fluffy lash from the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) lashes.
The key to bold eyes it to apply a thicker layer of eyeliner to your lid, we recommend applying some eyeshadow on top of the line and blending this out well. For bold eyes, it is up to you if you want to add a wing or not. Remember if you do add a wing to make sure make sure the thicker part is in the centre.
The Cat Eye
This is one of our favourite looks, it is super flattering on most eye shapes and can really enhance your eyes. A cat eye look is perfect for day or night wear and if you want to glam it up adding some eyeshadow will do just the trick.
- Decide which type eyeliner you work best with (pencil, crayon, liquid or gel) any liner can be used. Hold your upper eyelid taut and begin to apply the liner. You may want to start in the middle and join up the sides. Make sure that the liner on the inner corners is pulled down to your tear duct and create a wing on the outer corner and blend the wing slightly.
- Wait for the eyeliner to dry before blinking or touching the area. If you want to make your eyes appear wider, add some white or nude eyeliner to your lower waterline to make your eyes pop.
- Apply any eye shadow if desired and your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend you use a pair of the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super fluffy and go perfect with this type of eye look.
We have a wide range of different styles and materials to make sure we can match everyone’s lash needs!
Luxury 3D Mink Lashes – can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Lashes – vegan and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Multi Packs – vegan, three pairs of lashes and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Synthetic Lashes – vegan and can be worn up to 20 wears if looked after.
For more information on cleaning and caring for your lashes to maximum wear from them. Click here to view our guide!
For more inspiration and creative looks, click here to check out our Instagram (@lash_envy_beauty).
If you have any further questions regarding our lashes please click here to view our FAQ. If your question has not been answered, please contact us via email at email@example.com