How to Apply, Wear & Pull off Blue Eyeliner
Sometimes you want to get a little creative but aren’t sure how you will pull it off. There are no rights or wrongs in the beauty world so go ahead and get creative! If you find blue eyeliner to be a little daunting why not start of by wearing a look like this to a big event or a festival so you don’t feel as daring. You can make blue eyeliner as subtle or as in your face as you want just be adding a few extra touches, its simple! Select the type of eyeliner you want to use; pencil, wax, gel or liquid liner, we highly recommend you use a liquid liner if you want a bold wing or if you are looking to create a smokey blue liner select a creamy pencil. Keep reading to find out some of our best tips and tricks to help you pull of a gorgeous blue liner eye look.
Step One: Prep your lids using a primer
Eyeshadow primer is a great way to help your eyeliner glide on and keep the liner in place all day long. Primer is also great if you find your lid area can be quite dry as it creates a moisturised layer to your eyelid. When applying the primer make sure you apply it on your whole lid from the inner corner to the outer corner and if you are planning on creating a wing, pull the primer out to there. Top tip: let your primer set by leaving it for a around a minute before applying for best results! If you want a more matte look, select a matte primer – works great with eyeliner!
Step Two: Eyeshadow
Depending on the look you want to achieve, select a colour that will work great with the blue eyeliner. If you are going for a more natural look, try a neutral shade such as a brown, beige or taupe. If you want to bring all the drama to your eyes, why not try a pink shade or a bright shade? Apply the shade of choice to your lid area, select a slightly darker shade and blend into your crease.
Step Three: Get Lining
Now it’s time for the eyeliner. Decide what type of look you are going for; tightlining, bold eyes, cat eye etc and go from there. We have put together some of our favourite eyeliner looks to help you decide with a step by step guide for each look.
Line the Inside of Your Eyes AKA Tightlining
This will create a sexy, smokey eye look which is an absolute go to eye look for a night out on the town! Tightlining is a little trick that is used by a lot of makeup artists and celebrities use. Basically, tightlining is when you apply eye liner to your upper waterline to create a sultry and dramatic look. This technique is used by many makeup artists and celebrities and the best part it is super simple to do!
- If you are using a pencil or crayon eyeliner, make sure it is sharpened before you use it. To take away the sharpness, rub the eyeliner on the back of your hand until the sharpness has been blunted. If you are using a liquid or gel liner, make sure they have not dried out at all. Eyeliner that is on the drying side can be a struggle to apply and can tough on your eyes.
- When apply the eyeliner to your waterline hold up the lid and use short strokes do the same for your bottom waterline.
- If you are using a liquid or gel liner you can use the ‘stamping’ method. Apply the liner to the brush you are using and apply at in a stamping motion.
- Use a Q-tip / cotton bud to gently pat your water line to make it not so wet. When the waterline is wet when you apply the eyeliner, it won’t last as long.
- If you make any mistakes with the eyeliner when applying, don’t worry you can always use a Q-tip / cotton bud to clean it up later.
- To make sure your liner lasts all day you want to set it in place. We recommend you use an eyeshadow of your choice to set it in place. This can be a coloured eye shadow or a plain black or white. We recommend you use a similar eyeshadow colour to the eyeliner you have used.
- Like all makeup look, a pair of false eyelashes can really make your eyes pop and transform a whole look. We recommend you use the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) lashesfor a super full and fluffy look. However, if you are going for a more subtle look but want to wear some falsies we recommend using a pair of good old synthetic eyelashes!
This is a great way to give the appearance of larger eyes. By smudging your eyeliner, this will elongate your eyes, you can use this technique on your upper and lower lash line! If you’re looking for something more subtle, try not to smudge it out as much.
- Apply the eyeliner to your upper eyelid. We recommend you use an eyeliner pencil or crayon for this as gel or liquid liner won’ smudge as easily or as well.
- Either use your finger or a buffing brush to smudge out the eyeliner. Be sure to be gentle and careful when doing this as it could easily end up looking like you have a black eye if you go overboard! Gradually smudge the eyeliner out until you’re happy.
- Apply a good coat of mascara and pop on your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super full and fluffy whilst keeping it light weight!
- To apply to your bottom lash line, go through the same process until you’re happy and apply some mascara to the lashes. If you want to go all out, why not apply some dark eyeshadow around where you have smudged to give you more of a smokey affect! This technique will make your eyes look larger and whiter if done correctly!
The Everyday Eyeliner
Not every day do you want to have a full blown smokey eye that is why it’s important to master the eyeliner basics for every day. After you have practised a few times you’ll be good to go!
- First grab your favourite eyeliner, pull your upper eyelid taut and apply the eyeliner. If you are using gel try to do the line in one sweep to keep it thin. If you feel you’re not so confident with the eyeliner, why not try lining your lid with a dark black or grey eye shadow? This can be as subtle as you want it to be, if you want it to be darker keep applying more shadow until you are happy with the look. If you have used eyeshadow, try running some eyeliner over the eye shadow. Top tip: when applying eyeliner, make sure you are in a good position. Try resting your elbows on the table, this will give you extra steadiness.
- If you have simply just applied the eyeliner, then we recommend you set it with some eyeshadow. Try using a shade similar or the same as the liner colour to keep things looking snatched.
- Apply a small line of eyeliner to your lower lid waterline to complete the look.
Going on a night out or off to a meal? A beautiful bold eye can really glam things up. Bold eyes look amazing when paired with a bold pair of false eyelashes. We would recommend you opt for a fluffy lash from the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) lashes.
The key to bold eyes it to apply a thicker layer of eyeliner to your lid, we recommend applying some eyeshadow on top of the line and blending this out well. For bold eyes, it is up to you if you want to add a wing or not. Remember if you do add a wing to make sure make sure the thicker part is in the centre.
The Cat Eye
This is one of our favourite looks, it is super flattering on most eye shapes and can really enhance your eyes. A cat eye look is perfect for day or night wear and if you want to glam it up adding some eyeshadow will do just the trick.
- Decide which type eyeliner you work best with (pencil, crayon, liquid or gel) any liner can be used. Hold your upper eyelid taut and begin to apply the liner. You may want to start in the middle and join up the sides. Make sure that the liner on the inner corners is pulled down to your tear duct and create a wing on the outer corner and blend the wing slightly.
- Wait for the eyeliner to dry before blinking or touching the area. If you want to make your eyes appear wider, add some white or nude eyeliner to your lower waterline to make your eyes pop.
- Apply any eye shadow if desired and your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend you use a pair of the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super fluffy and go perfect with this type of eye look.
Step Four: Finishing Touches, Wing It
Blue liner looks insanely good with a wing, so go ahead and create a wing whether it’s a little flick or a long wing it’s up to you. No makeup look is complete without a pair of falsies so pop on some mascara to both your top and bottom eyelashes. Grab your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We highly recommend a pair of full and fluffy lashes to top of this look from the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) collection. If you want all the drama to be on your eyes, why not opt for a pair of more natural or wispy false eyelashes to really show of that blue liner?
How to Apply False Eyelashes Like a Pro
Step One: Remove Lash Envy Beauty Lashes from Box
Carefully remove the false eyelashes from the tray with a pair of tweezers or our Lash Envy Beauty Applicator tweezers. Hold the lashes from the false eyelash band. Alternatively, you could use your fingers to gently remove your Lash Envy Beauty lashes. It’s whatever method you find easiest.
Step Two: Lash Fitting
Place the lash strip across your natural lash line. Decide if the lashes are too long for your eye shape or not. If so, you will need to trim the false eyelashes to fit. With a pair of scissors, carefully cut off the excess that is longer than your lash line. This step is very important as it is this part that will ensure your lashes look perfect for your eye shape. If the lash strip is longer than your natural lash line, the falsies will not sit properly on your eyelid and therefore they will look unbalanced!
Step Three: Apply Lash Adhesive
Apply a thin layer of lash glue along the lash strip. It is important that you wait 20 – 30 seconds before applying as this allows time for the glue to become tacky. When the glue is tacky, your falsies will stick properly. If the glue is to wet, it will be harder to apply as it will slip around everywhere! Tacky glue also means better, cleaner and easier application!
Extra tip: Never use cheap or unbranded glue. It is likely to be unsuitable for use around eyes and could irritate or burn your eyes! We suggest sticking to brands such as Duo glue.
Step Four: Lash On!
Gently place the lash strip on the center base of your natural lash line. Then continue to the inner and outer base of your natural lash line. We recommend using the Lash Envy Beauty Applicator Tool to make it a simple and mess free process. Slightly press along the lashes to stick them as close to your natural lash line as possible. The closer you get, the more seamless the lashes will look!
Extra tip: When placing your falsies onto your natural lash line, position the false eyelashes coming down onto your lash line. This makes sure the lashes sit properly and won’t hang downwards.
Apply Mascara Properly
Choose the Best Formula for You
There is no ‘best’ mascara, of course there are good and bad ones but it’s all about what works best for you and gives the best results. Before purchasing a mascara, decide whether you want waterproof or regular as well as the colour; ultra-black, black or brown, if you’re feeling adventurous why not try a coloured one. The colour you decide on depends on the look you’re going for, ultra-black is the most impactful and dramatic, whilst a brown will give you the benefits of mascara but will keep things looking more natural. You should also keep in mind and ask yourself the question of ‘what do I want from my mascara?’ If you are looking to lengthen your lashes then opt for a lengthening mascara. There are plenty of options such as volume, lengthening, long lasting, 24 hour etc. A top tip is to check the wand the mascara comes in, different wand types will give you different results; a thicker wand will give you more volume whilst a thinner wand will give you more length.
Wipe Off the Excess Mascara before Applying
Be sure the wipe any excess mascara off the brush before applying. If you don’t do this then you run the risk of clumpy lashes. However, for some this is the look they are going for so stack up them layers!
Apply Mascara to the Lash Root
When it comes to application you want to make the most out of the mascara. It’s always best to start working from the root and towards the end of your lashes. By applying mascara to the root, this gives the appearance of fuller, thicker lashes! Keep repeating this step until you are happy with the amount of volume you’ve achieved. You can also use this method on your bottom eyelashes.
The “Out-Up-In” Method
This method makes sure your lashes don’t all clump together and ensures they are more spaced out like your own lashes are. To use the ‘out-up-in’ method start at the outer corner of you eye, apply the mascara at an angle. This will pull the eyelashes up and out helping them appearing much longer. Next, move to the centre of your eye and pull the lashes up and move onto the lashes in your inner corner and pull them in. If you feel you need to be more precise in the inner corner then why not use the tip of the mascara wand?
Apply Mascara to Your Bottom Lashes
Use the same technique as you did on your upper lashes, but this time on your bottom lashes. We recommend you use a thinner mascara wand for this as it will help you be more precise and prevent you from getting on your under eye. If you find this hard to do without getting mascara everywhere apply some cello tape underneath your eye or hold a piece of card there. This will prevent mascara getting on your skin and will go on the cello tape or card instead.
Add False Eyelashes
Like with any makeup look, no smokey eye is complete without a pair of your favourite pair of false eyelashes! Double liner looks insane when paired with a set of super full and fluffy false eyelashes, however if you are looking for something more natural go ahead and pop on some wispy lashes. We recommend the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) false eyelashes as there is a style for everyone ranging from natural styles to full glam! It’s always a good idea to apply mascara to your eyelashes before applying falsies, this is ensure that your real lashes will blend seamlessly with your false eyelashes.
We have a wide range of different styles and materials to make sure we can match everyone’s lash needs!
Luxury 3D Mink Lashes – can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Lashes – vegan and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Multi Packs – vegan, three pairs of lashes and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Synthetic Lashes – vegan and can be worn up to 20 wears if looked after.
For more information on cleaning and caring for your lashes to maximum wear from them. Click here to view our guide!
For more inspiration and creative looks, click here to check out our Instagram (@lash_envy_beauty).
If you have any further questions regarding our lashes please click here to view our FAQ. If your question has not been answered, please contact us via email at email@example.com