How to Apply Eyeliner to Suit Your Eye Shape
It’s all about selecting the right type of eyeliner that suits you and your eyes best. When you choose the right type of eyeliner for your eyes, it will enhance those beautiful eyes of yours and make them pop. First things first, you need to know what eye shape you have to understand what type of eyeliner suits you best. We have also added a few little extras such as what type of false eyelashes suit you best as we all know, no makeup look or liner is complete without a pair of falsies! Read below to find out what eye shape you have and what false eyelashes and eyeliner suits you best.
Eyeliner Tips & Tricks
Select the Right Pencil Liner for you
With so many eyeliners out there it can hard to decide which one. First things first, you need to decide what colour you want (ultra-black, black, grey, brown or a colourful shade). We recommend you base this of what kind of look you are going for, e.g. a smokey eye choose a ultra-black, black or grey shade. If you’re going for a more natural look and just want to enhance your eyes opt for a brown shade, if you’re feeling creative or heading to a festival select a bright, colourful or neon colour! Once you have decided on the shade, decide on if you want it to be waterproof, long lasting etc. We recommend selecting a liner that is labelled ‘creamy’ or ‘kohl’ as there are much easier to apply and will glide on better.
Warm Up Your Eyeliner Pencil
If your pencil liner is not labelled as ‘creamy’ or ‘kohl’ then you may find it doesn’t apply as smoothly as you would have hoped. If this is the case, then simply warm up the liner by rolling the pencil back and forth in your hands. You could also rub the tip of the liner on the back of your hand until it softens. The third way is to hold the liner above a flame using a candle or a lighter.
Made a Mistake? Use a Q-tip
If you make a mistake when applying the liner, don’t worry just grab a Q-tip and clean it up! If you need to add some micellar water to the Q-tip go ahead. Q-tips are also great if you are doing a wing liner and feel it needs a little cleaning up.
Dot Your Liner
If you struggle with creating the perfect liner or want your lashes to look thicker then this is the perfect technique for you. First pull your upper eyelid taut and look down into a mirror, apply dots or dashes to any gaps in your lash line. Repeat until you are happy with the result!
Set Your Eyeliner
We suggest you use a matte eye shadow to set the eyeliner in place. This is because eye shadow is designed to be used on the eye area. If the eye shadow was to get into your eyes it will not be as irritable as loose powder may be. In terms of color, it’s up to you and what look you’re going for! If you’re going for a smokey look then add a pop of black eye shadow and blend it out for the ultimate sultry look.
Want a Natural Look? Brown Pencil is the One!
Sometimes we want something a little more subtle or work friendly, this is why the brown pencil is your BFF. The brown eyeliner will still enhance those beautiful eyes of yours without looking too dramatic! It is also a fantastic way to achieve the ‘no makeup – makeup look’!
Try Coloured Pencils
If you’re feeling creative or heading to a festival, why not get creative with some coloured liner? We recommend using a colour that contrasts with your eye colour.
Green eyes – use purples, reds or maroon shades
Blue eyes – dark blue or purple shades
Brown eyes – golds and green shades
Go for Nude Colours
An amazing quick and simple way to make small eyes look larger is to use a white or nude eyeliner. This will open up your eyes and make them appear wider. To use this technique, apply the white or nude eyeliner to both your upper and lower lash line. Then pop on a good coat of mascara and your favourite eyelashes and your good to go!
How to Determine Your Eye Shape:
Imagine a straight, horizontal line extending through the center of both eyes. For example; If the outer corners of your eyes are above the line, you have upturned eyes. If the corners are below the line, you have downturn eyes.
What are round eyes: The crease of your eye is visible and your eyes are a circular shape.
What type of lashes we recommend: For false eyelashes that will really complement your eyes, we recommend long, wispy or cay eye lashes. These kinds of lashes will elongate the eye for a super flirty and voluminous look!
Perfect Lash Match: Wispy, winged or cat eye lashes.
What are almond eyes: A visible crease in your eyelid and unlike round eyes, your iris touches the top and bottom of your eyelid. Almond shaped eyes have a slight point on the ends and are wider in the center of the eyes.
What type of lashes we recommend: Almond eyes suit most styles making them versatile. Therefore you can be more creative with your lash styles. Base the style of lashes on what kind of look you’re wanting to achieve, i.e glam look wear more a dramatic style.
Perfect Lash Match: Most styles suit almond eyes.
What are deep-set eyes: Eyes sit under a stunning and prominent brow bone.
What type of lashes we recommend: Due to a prominent brow bone, long and voluminous lashes look the best. However, there is room for flexibility with this eye shape. Lash Envy Beauty offers a large range of dramatic and long lashes to choose from!
Perfect Lash Match: Dramatic, long lashes.
What are hooded eyes: The crease of your eyelid is hidden under the upper part of your lid or brow bone.
What type of lashes we recommend: If you choose to create more depth that will open up the eyes, styles that are longer and fuller in the center are a great choice.
Perfect Lash Match: Tapered end lashes, wispy lashes (creates the illusion of depth)
What are monolid eyes: If you do not have any crease on your eyelid, you have a monolid eye shape. Monolids usually have straight lashes.
What type of lashes we recommend: Choose lashes with more of a flare for openness and length on the outer corners to create the illusion of an elongated eye shape. Fluffier, longer and more wispy lashes are great for creating more definition to your eyes.
Perfect Lash Match: Light, fluffier, wispy lashes.
Close Set Eyes
What are close set eyes: The inner corners of your eyes sit close to your nose.
What type of lashes we recommend: If you want to highlight your eyeshape, focus on accentuating the outter corners to lengthen and lift the eyes. Longer length lashes from center to end are perfect.
Perfect Lash Match: Fuller, volumous lashes
What are downturned eyes: Your eyes have a downwards tilt at the outter corners.
What type of lashes we recommend: This type of eye looks amazing with a cat eye lash style.
Perfect Lash Match: Cat eye, wispy and volumous lashes.
What are prominent eyes: large, bright and alluring on their own!
What type of lashes we recommend: Natural, varing short to medium wispy lashes provide a light weight yet stunning addition to your eyes.
Pefect Match: Natural, short to medium length, wispy lashes.
Eyeliner for Almond Eyes
If you have almond eyes you can pretty much pull off any type of eyeliner! However, we do recommend a cat liner. However, if you are looking for something a little more subtle apply a thin line of eyeliner to your inner corners, build up the thickness gradually until you reach the end and create a small wing.
Eyeliner for Hooded / Monolid Eyes
When applying eyeliner, we recommend you get the eyeliner as close to your lash line as possible (to the base of your eyelashes). However, since your eyelids are hooded you can take advantage of this and apply the liner as thick as you want! We highly recommend a cat eye liner if you have hooded / monolid eyes as it will really open up and enhance those beautiful eyes of yours! The wing you create with the eyeliner will also lift and elongate your eyes! However, if you are not aiming to elongate your eyes but to make them appear more round, we suggest you build a thicker liner of eyeliner at the center of your eyelid and create a thinner line on both the inner and outer side of your lid. This will give the appearance of your eyes looking more round due to the thicker liner giving it a curve.
Eyeliner for Downturned Eyes
If you are looking to lift up your eyes, then eyeliner will do just the trick! A wing liner will lift up your eyes and give the appearance of more upturned eyes. If you want to create this illusion but you want it to be much more subtle, apply the wing using a brown eyeliner shade rather than a black. However, if you are looking to enhance those beautiful downturned eyes of yours, then apply a wing liner along the natural line of your eyes where they begin to turn downwards.
Eyeliner for Round Eyes
If you have round eyes, you may want to create the appearance that your eyes are more almond shape. You can do this super easily by applying liner with a straight wing or creating a cat eye look. If you want something a little more subtle, then instead of using an eyeliner use a dark shade (ultra-black, black or brown) eyeshadow instead to create the wing and smudge it out using your fingers.
Eyeliner for All Eye Shapes
Remember, when it comes to makeup it is all about doing it the way you want and getting creative! There is no rights or wrongs just a little guidance. If the guide doesn’t state a certain eyeliner technique or style, you should still go ahead and try it out because you may love it!
Line The Inside of Your Eyes AKA Tightlining
This will create a sexy, smokey eye look which is an absolute go to eye look for a night out on the town! Tightlining is a little trick that is used by a lot of makeup artists and celebrities use. Basically, tightlining is when you apply eye liner to your upper waterline to create a sultry and dramatic look. This technique is used by many makeup artists and celebrities and the best part it is super simple to do!
- If you are using a pencil or crayon eyeliner, make sure it is sharpened before you use it. To take away the sharpness, rub the eyeliner on the back of your hand until the sharpness has been blunted. If you are using a liquid or gel liner, make sure they have not dried out at all. Eyeliner that is on the drying side can be a struggle to apply and can tough on your eyes.
- When apply the eyeliner to your waterline hold up the lid and use short strokes do the same for your bottom waterline.
- If you are using a liquid or gel liner you can use the ‘stamping’ method. Apply the liner to the brush you are using and apply at in a stamping motion.
- Use a Q-tip / cotton bud to gently pat your water line to make it not so wet. When the waterline is wet when you apply the eyeliner, it won’t last as long.
- If you make any mistakes with the eyeliner when applying, don’t worry you can always use a Q-tip / cotton bud to clean it up later.
- To make sure your liner lasts all day you want to set it in place. We recommend you use an eyeshadow of your choice to set it in place. This can be a coloured eye shadow or a plain black or white. We recommend you use a similar eyeshadow colour to the eyeliner you have used.
- Like all makeup look, a pair of false eyelashes can really make your eyes pop and transform a whole look. We recommend you use the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) lashesfor a super full and fluffy look. However, if you are going for a more subtle look but want to wear some falsies we recommend using a pair of good old synthetic eyelashes!
When creating a smokey eye, it’s important that you blend and smudge the product out otherwise it can make you look like you have a black eye. Not to worry though, after following our advice and a little practise, you’ll be a pro at creating smokey eyes in no time.
- Use a dark coloured liner to create the best smokey eye look. Hold the upper eyelid firmly and apply the eyeliner. It is best to apply it starting from the inside corner and to move outwards for the quickest and easiest results. Make sure that the middle of your lid has a thicker layer than at the edges. This will make sure your eyeliner is evenly distributed.
- Grab a smudging brush or a Q-tip and carefully blend the liner out. Be careful not to over smudge out the liner as it will make you look like you have a black eye!
- Choose a dark eye shadow colour we suggest a black, grey, dark blue or green. Apply the eye shadow along were the eyeliner is, this will set the eyeliner so it lasts all day or night. The eye shadow will also help with creating a seamless blend. Keep applying the eye shadow until you are happy with the look, if any areas need cleaning up, use a cotton bud to remove the excess.
- Apply a layer of black mascara and your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super full and fluffy and will complete the look.
Top tip: a great technique when it comes to creating the prefect smokey eye is to use ‘tightlining’. This is where you apply the eyeliner (usually a pencil, crayon or gel liner) to your upper lids water line. This opens up and brightens the eye, yet still gives you a sultry smokey eye look. For more information on tightlining and how to use this technique, check out our blog page.
This is a great way to give the appearance of larger eyes. By smudging your eyeliner, this will elongate your eyes, you can use this technique on your upper and lower lash line! If you’re looking for something more subtle, try not to smudge it out as much.
How to smudge: Apply the eyeliner to your upper eyelid. We recommend you use an eyeliner pencil or crayon for this as gel or liquid liner won’ smudge as easily or as well. Either use your finger or a buffing brush to smudge out the eyeliner. Be sure to be gentle and careful when doing this as it could easily end up looking like you have a black eye if you go overboard! Gradually smudge the eyeliner out until you’re happy. Apply a good coat of mascara and pop on your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super full and fluffy whilst keeping it light weight! To apply to your bottom lash line, go through the same process until you’re happy and apply some mascara to the lashes. If you want to go all out, why not apply some dark eyeshadow around where you have smudged to give you more of a smokey affect! This technique will make your eyes look larger and whiter if done correctly!
The Everyday Eyeliner
Not every day do you want to have a full blown smokey eye that is why it’s important to master the eyeliner basics for every day. After you have practised a few times you’ll be good to go!
- First grab your favourite eyeliner, pull your upper eyelid taut and apply the eyeliner. If you are using gel try to do the line in one sweep to keep it thin. If you feel you’re not so confident with the eyeliner, why not try lining your lid with a dark black or grey eye shadow? This can be as subtle as you want it to be, if you want it to be darker keep applying more shadow until you are happy with the look. If you have used eyeshadow, try running some eyeliner over the eye shadow. Top tip: when applying eyeliner, make sure you are in a good position. Try resting your elbows on the table, this will give you extra steadiness.
- If you have simply just applied the eyeliner, then we recommend you set it with some eyeshadow. Try using a shade similar or the same as the liner colour to keep things looking snatched.
- Apply a small line of eyeliner to your lower lid waterline to complete the look.
Going on a night out or off to a meal? A beautiful bold eye can really glam things up. Bold eyes look amazing when paired with a bold pair of false eyelashes. We would recommend you opt for a fluffy lash from the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) lashes.
The key to bold eyes it to apply a thicker layer of eyeliner to your lid, we recommend applying some eyeshadow on top of the line and blending this out well. For bold eyes, it is up to you if you want to add a wing or not. Remember if you do add a wing to make sure make sure the thicker part is in the centre.
The Cat Eye
This is one of our favourite looks, it is super flattering on most eye shapes and can really enhance your eyes. A cat eye look is perfect for day or night wear and if you want to glam it up adding some eyeshadow will do just the trick.
- Decide which type eyeliner you work best with (pencil, crayon, liquid or gel) any liner can be used. Hold your upper eyelid taut and begin to apply the liner. You may want to start in the middle and join up the sides. Make sure that the liner on the inner corners is pulled down to your tear duct and create a wing on the outer corner and blend the wing slightly.
- Wait for the eyeliner to dry before blinking or touching the area. If you want to make your eyes appear wider, add some white or nude eyeliner to your lower waterline to make your eyes pop.
- Apply any eye shadow if desired and your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend you use a pair of the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super fluffy and go perfect with this type of eye look.
We have a wide range of different styles and materials to make sure we can match everyone’s lash needs!
Luxury 3D Mink Lashes – can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Lashes – vegan and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Multi Packs – vegan, three pairs of lashes and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Synthetic Lashes – vegan and can be worn up to 20 wears if looked after.
For more information on cleaning and caring for your lashes to maximum wear from them. Click here to view our guide!
For more inspiration and creative looks, click here to check out our Instagram (@lash_envy_beauty).
If you have any further questions regarding our lashes please click here to view our FAQ. If your question has not been answered, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org