Guide to Eyelash Extension Direction
Eyelash Extension Direction
There is more to eyelash extensions than simply dipping the extensions in adhesive and applying it to the client’s lash. Eyelash extensions require a lot of care and precision during application and direction plays a big role in creating a perfect set! So, what do we mean when we say ‘direction’? It is all about the way you direct lashes when applying the extensions to your client’s eyelashes. The direction depends on your client’s eye shape such as close or wide set eyes as well as the lash style the client wants. Because it depends on a few factors, there is no one template fits all so it is all about practising.
Why lash direction is so important:
The direction you place the extensions will impact on the final look. Eyelash extensions are all about enhancing your client’s eyes and creating a style that suits them. For example, if your client has wide set eyes, the aim is to enhance so you would make the lash direction either slightly tilted or straight. You would not want to direct the lashes towards the outer corners of their eyes as this would simply give the appearance of their eyes being even more wide set then they already are.
Four ways of directing lash placement:
- Slanted direction outwards
- Slanted inwards
- Straight placement
- Combined directions
- Extensions must be placed along with the natural eyelash, 0.5mm-0.1mm away from the skin along the lash line. If the extensions are not correctly placed at the distance required, this can result in two issues.
- First, you will be too far out along the natural lash, leaving a visible gap. This will make it look like the client has had 2 – 3 weeks of lash growth and they are requiring infills.
- Alternatively, if the lash extension is placed too close to the skin, you may have the opposite concern. In this case, the lash will rub every time that the client opens and closes their eye. Even blinking will feel like they have sand rubbing in their eye.
- This can be extremely uncomfortable and may even lead to swelling, redness, and puffiness to the eye area.
- As you can see, the incorrect eyelash application can cause all kinds of issues to the eye area and skin surrounding it. To avoid causing serious damage, doing your research, and having the correct training in the lash application is crucial.
How to Improve the Direction:
- Make sure you know how you want to place the extensions and what direction you want them in before starting a new set. It is easier to keep to the correct direction with infills as you can already see the direction of the eyelash extensions remaining.
- Be careful with your placement. It is important to always ensure you place the eyelash extension on to the natural lash the same distance from the client’s lid. It should not be any more than 0.5 – 0.6 mm. If the distance is further than 0.5 – 06 mm the extensions will slope downwards and effect how long they last plus the finished result.
- How to decide the direction / angle: the outer side of the eye should be the maximum, the middle around a 5 – 7 degree angle and the inner side around a 3 – 4 degree angle.
- Once you have attached the eyelash extension to your client’s lash, avoid touching or moving the lash for at least 30 seconds. This is important as it can affect the direction of the lash you have placed. We recommend that you move onto another area to avoid nocking the lash or moving on to the other eye.
Spotting Errors in Direction:
There is an error in the direction if you notice open gaps in the set or criss-crossing. If you notice this, we recommend you remove the extensions that have been placed incorrectly and replace them correctly. However, keep in mind that creating a perfect set of eyelash extensions does not mean that all the lash angles have to be the same!
How to Improve Accuracy:
- Before you begin lashing, make sure your client is seated / lead and positioned how you want them to be. It is very important that you are also seated close enough to your client otherwise you may find it difficult to reach the inner corners of your client eyes. Not to mention this could also hurt you back and neck!
- Avoid resting your elbows on the table, your arms need to be free to move about in order to create neat and precise lashes and ensure the direction of the placement is right.
- Steady hands are key to creating the perfect set of eyelash extensions. If you find your hands are more on the shaky side make sure they have support in order to create as much accuracy as possible. It may also help to go easy on the coffee or anything with caffeine in as this can cause your hands to shake.
We have a wide range of different styles and materials to make sure we can match everyone’s lash needs!
Luxury 3D Mink Lashes – can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Lashes – vegan and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Multi Packs – vegan, three pairs of lashes and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Synthetic Lashes – vegan and can be worn up to 20 wears if looked after.
For more information on cleaning and caring for your lashes to maximum wear from them. Click here to view our guide!
For more inspiration and creative looks, click here to check out our Instagram (@lash_envy_beauty).
If you have any further questions regarding our lashes please click here to view our FAQ. If your question has not been answered, please contact us via email at email@example.com