Guide: How to Become a Pro at Eyeliner
For many the idea of having to create a wing using eyeliner is enough to make some run for the hills. While others love to get creative with their eyeliner. Being good at eyeliner may think is a real skill you either have or you don’t. That is not the case, with the right guidance and a little bit of practise you will notice the world of a difference. With some many different styles and looks you can create with eyeliner, you would be a fool to not want to become a pro at it. For all you out there that have struggled with eyeliner it may be as simple as you wasn’t using the right eyeliner product for you. There is a range of different eyeliner products in the beauty world and there is even some little tools and gadgets you can get to help you step up your eyeliner game. Back in the day, you could only get your hands on wax-based eyeliner pencils. The game has changed, you can now also get crayons, liquid and gel liners and all of these with a waterproof base. There seems to be 101 different shades you can also get, so there is an eyeliner for everyone we are sure! There is no ‘best’ type of eyeliner we can recommend to you as it’s all based on the look you are creating and what works easiest for you. Without any further ado, let’s talk eyeliners!
The OG Eyeliner – The Pencil
When using a pencil liner, we recommend you warm it up a little so that it will glide on to your lids a lot easier. You should do this by rubbing the pencil in the palms of your hands for a few seconds and that should do just the trick. If you are aiming to create a smokey eye, try heating up the pencil more by holding it over a candle for a few seconds. This will make the liner a creamier constancy making it easier to buff and smudge out with a brush.
Creating the Ultimate Smoky Eye with Pencil Liner
When creating a smokey eye, it’s important that you blend and smudge the product out otherwise it can make you look like you have a black eye. Not to worry though, after following our advice and a little practise, you’ll be a pro at creating smokey eyes in no time.
- Use a dark coloured liner to create the best smokey eye look. Hold the upper eyelid firmly and apply the eyeliner. It is best to apply it starting from the inside corner and to move outwards for the quickest and easiest results. Make sure that the middle of your lid has a thicker layer than at the edges. This will make sure your eyeliner is evenly distributed.
- Grab a smudging brush or a Q-tip and carefully blend the liner out. Be careful not to over smudge out the liner as it will make you look like you have a black eye!
- Choose a dark eye shadow colour we suggest a black, grey, dark blue or green. Apply the eye shadow along were the eyeliner is, this will set the eyeliner so it lasts all day or night. The eye shadow will also help with creating a seamless blend. Keep applying the eye shadow until you are happy with the look, if any areas need cleaning up, use a cotton bud to remove the excess.
- Apply a layer of black mascara and your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super full and fluffy and will complete the look.
Top tip: a great technique when it comes to creating the prefect smokey eye is to use ‘tightlining’. This is where you apply the eyeliner (usually a pencil, crayon or gel liner) to your upper lids water line. This opens up and brightens the eye, yet still gives you a sultry smokey eye look. For more information on tightlining and how to use this technique, check out our blog page.
This kind of eyeliner is great due to its smooth and glides on very easily. However, it can take a bit of practise to master this time of eyeliner but once you get the hang of it you will love it. Liquid eyeliner is best applied in one sweep, this is to keep the liner straight. If you are new to liquid liner or struggle, why not try and apply it in steps? Start lining the centre of your eyelid, then join to the outer corners.
How to make your eyes appear wider. Here is a little trick:
- The aim of this technique is to open up your eyes and give the illusion that they are wider than what they really are.
- Grab a liquid liner (either one in a pot or liquid pencil liner) dab small dots into the gabs between your eyelashes. The aim of this is to avoid creating a line as the dots make the lashes look much thicker. Apply a layer of mascara and through on your favourite pair of falsies.
The Everyday Eyeliner
Not every day do you want to have a full blown smokey eye that is why it’s important to master the eyeliner basics for everyday. After you have practised a few times you’ll be good to go!
- First grab your favourite eyeliner, pull your upper eyelid taut and apply the eyeliner. If you are using gel try to do the line in one sweep to keep it thin. If you feel you’re not so confident with the eyeliner, why not try lining your lid with a dark black or grey eye shadow? This can be as subtle as you want it to be, if you want it to be darker keep applying more shadow until you are happy with the look. If you have used eyeshadow, try running some eyeliner over the eye shadow. Top tip: when applying eyeliner, make sure you are in a good position. Try resting your elbows on the table, this will give you extra steadiness.
- If you have simply just applied the eyeliner, then we recommend you set it with some eyeshadow. Try using a shade similar or the same as the liner colour to keep things looking snatched.
- Apply a small line of eyeliner to your lower lid waterline to complete the look.
Beautiful Bold Eyes
Going on a night out or off to a meal? A beautiful bold eye can really glam things up. Bold eyes look amazing when paired with a bold pair of false eyelashes. We would recommend you opt for a fluffy lash from the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink (vegan) lashes.
The key to bold eyes it to apply a thicker layer of eyeliner to your lid, we recommend applying some eyeshadow on top of the line and blending this out well. For bold eyes, it is up to you if you want to add a wing or not. Remember if you do add a wing to make sure make sure the thicker part is in the centre.
The Cat Eye
This is one of our favourite looks, it is super flattering on most eye shapes and can really enhance your eyes. A cat eye look is perfect for day or night wear and if you want to glam it up adding some eyeshadow will do just the trick.
- Decide which type eyeliner you work best with (pencil, crayon, liquid or gel) any liner can be used. Hold your upper eyelid taut and begin to apply the liner. You may want to start in the middle and join up the sides. Make sure that the liner on the inner corners is pulled down to your tear duct and create a wing on the outer corner and blend the wing slightly.
- Wait for the eyeliner to dry before blinking or touching the area. If you want to make your eyes appear wider, add some white or nude eyeliner to your lower waterline to make your eyes pop.
- Apply any eye shadow if desired and your favourite pair of false eyelashes. We recommend you use a pair of the Luxury 3D Mink or Faux Mink lashes as these are super fluffy and go perfect with this type of eye look.
We have a wide range of different styles and materials to make sure we can match everyone’s lash needs!
Luxury 3D Mink Lashes – can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Lashes – vegan and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Luxury 3D Faux Mink Multi Packs – vegan, three pairs of lashes and can be worn 20 – 25 wears if looked after
Synthetic Lashes – vegan and can be worn up to 20 wears if looked after.
For more information on cleaning and caring for your lashes to maximum wear from them. Click here to view our guide!
For more inspiration and creative looks, click here to check out our Instagram (@lash_envy_beauty).
If you have any further questions regarding our lashes please click here to view our FAQ. If your question has not been answered, please contact us via email at email@example.com